Thursday, July 16, 2009

8 Words........

......for a long and happy marriage. This was the advice given to my sister-in-law and her husband when they got sealed recently. I always try to remember the advice from the sealers because they always have great words of wisdom. He also quoted 2 scriptures; one from D&C 128 and the other from D&C 132. I don't remember the verses, but I read through both sections and they have lots of good advice.

O.k. now for the 8 words.

Work - work together, work toward goals, remember that marriage takes work, etc.
Communicate - don't get upset with each other if one of you says something and the other doesn't catch the drift or the meaning, make sure that you both understand what the other meant
Unselfish - true love is losing yourself in the service of others
Forgiveness - this one is crucial! If you find yourself remembering and then bringing up past misdeeds, then you haven't truly forgiven
Patience - this one speaks for itself
Respect - same here
Prayer - Daily personal, family, and spouse. You need Heavenly Father to truly succeed.
Togetherness - you need to spend time together doing good things

I know that I need to work on a few of these and that is probably why the advice stayed with me so long. Now that I have it written down, though, I can come back and read it often and remember my commitment to work on all eight words.

No comments:

Post a Comment