Friday, October 21, 2011

A Halloween party—super fun or totally insane?

So Kaila has been BEGGING to have a party with her friends for WEEKS, and I finally gave in. I don’t know if it was total insanity on my part or what, but here are the attendees.

IMG_0959IMG_0946IMG_0949Sixteen kids!! It was a little crazy for a little while, but once we got going on everything, it calmed down quite a bit. Well actually, we started with 17, but one got sick (thank goodness we were outside and thank goodness it wasn’t huge and messy). We made spider hats, played skeleton scurry (put Mr. Bones back together), pumpkin roll, made spider pops, and had a Jack-o-lantern treasure hunt.  We were going to do a mummy wrap game (wrap up a team member with toilet paper), but ran out of time.

The hats went over really well, just took a while. I think the kids liked the Skeleton Scurry (I was taking care of clean-up). The pumpkin roll game started out with the kids using the kids’ plastic hoes, but ended with them just rolling the small pumpkins with their hands. Then the jack-o-lantern treasure hunt was really a hit. Rhylie hid the cups you see in the picture above with pictures inside to show the next location of the clue. It ended at the front porch, but the treasure had been taken by the witch who got squished under the house. We had to split the kids into 3 groups, so we couldn’t have one group get their treasure before the other groups, so we made up a story about the witch.

IMG_0934IMG_0940

One of the clues and where the hunt ended.

IMG_0950

The spiders attacked the back patio.

IMG_0954

This is just a really cool “action” picture. I didn’t think it would turn out because it was one of those that you turn the corner and snap!

IMG_0982IMG_0986

IMG_0976IMG_0981

Kaila in her spider hat and a silly picture that Rhylie took.

Needless to say, we didn’t have to feed the kids and only did a small treat for the skeleton scurry of starbursts, but they didn’t go home empty handed!! These are the treats they got to take home.

IMG_0942IMG_0943IMG_0945IMG_0983

The little skeleton in the picture is a smaller version of Mr. Bones, printed on magnetic paper, so the kids could assemble their own at home. Thanks to Dave for cutting most of these out.

And as a final tribute to this post, the sweet boy below exclaimed to his mom as he was leaving, “BEST PARTY EVER!!” So I guess the insanity was worth it. I say insanity because I am in charge of Red/purple ribbon next week and was finishing up the final details of that this week as well.

IMG_0961

1 comment: